The Daring Blades
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sons of Hodir - getting started

4 posters

Go down

Sons of Hodir - getting started Empty Sons of Hodir - getting started

Post  Draann Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:39 am

You have to complete a questline to get Sons of Hodir faction. They're particularly important because they offer the new shoulder enchants (if you're not a scribe).

Questline starts at Storm Peaks, K3 goblin village, from a female goblin named Gretchen inside the inn:
http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12843

Last edited by Draann on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Draann
Draann
Admin

https://daringblades.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Sons of Hodir - getting started Empty Re: Sons of Hodir - getting started

Post  Lentus Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:17 am

Those are some great quests, too (chain is very long, lol)

at least you just need honored to buy the shoulder enchants... I think you end up with 3 daily quests you can do? (the horn, the anvil & the helm?)
Lentus
Lentus

Back to top Go down

Post  Draann Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Original article from WoW Insider:
http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/12/02/wrath-101-the-sons-of-hodir/

The Sons of Hodir is arguably one of the most important reputations in Wrath of the Lich King due to the items they offer. They're the only faction in Northrend that offers shoulder enchantments for PvE, in rare and epic flavors. Casters? Melee? Healers? Tanks? The Sons of Hodir have all of your shoulder enchants.

The quest chain to completely open up the Sons of Hodir rep grind is long. Really, really long. It's long in the good way, though. It's epic, and part of the chain is quite possibly one of the most fun quests in Wrath, and is as close to God of War as you're going to get in WoW. 'God of War in WoW!?' is what you're probably thinking. My answer to that? Yes. It's freaking awesome.

I hope you're sitting down, because I'm about to list the entire questline for you. The very first quest can be picked up at level 77 in K3, the Goblin town that's sitting right inside the entrance to Storm Peaks from the south. From there, just go where the wind (quest) takes you.

They Took Our Men!
Leave No Goblin Behind
The Crone's Bargain
Mildred the Cruel
Discipline
Examples to be Made
A Certain Prisoner
A Change of Scenery
Is That Your Goblin?
The Hyldsmeet
Taking on All Challengers
You'll Need a Bear
Going Bearback
Cold Hearted
Deemed Worthy
Making a Harness
The Last of Her Kind / The Slithering Darkness
The Warm-Up
Into the Pit
Prepare for Glory
Lok'lira's Paring Gift
The Drakkensryd
Sibling Rivalry
Mending Fences
The Refiner's Fire (Drop)
A Spark of Hope
Forging an Alliance
A New Beginning
Veranus
Territorial Trespass
In Memoriam / Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Krolmir, Hammer of Storms
The Terrace of the Makers

Yeah. It's absurd, isn't it? Trust me when I say it's awesome and completely worth it, though. If you want to dodge spoilers, don't click on the quests themselves, just use the list as a reference if you get stuck and don't know which quest you should be doing next to progress.

If you get to a point where a certain quest is unavailable, it's possible that you're just a little rep short of Friendly with the Sons of Hodir at the point where it becomes important, and if that's the case there's an easy solution. Before this becomes important, the daily quest Hot and Cold opens up within Dun Niffelem at an anvil on the upper level. Do that quest, and it will push you over to Friendly and you can continue the chain. That didn't happen to me, but it has been reported, and doing that quest seems to be the 'fix.'

The Sons of Hodir don't have a tabard that you can wear to Champion their cause in dungeons and Heroics, so reputation gains are going to be purely through daily quests and drops/looted items. After doing the quest chain above, you'll be well into friendly with the Sons. At each reputation level, a new daily quest or two opens up, similar to how the Netherwing faction worked in The Burning Crusade.

Friendly
Hot and Cold
Everfrost / Remember Everfrost!
Polishing the Helm
Blowing Hodir's Horn

Honored
Spy Hunter
Thrusting Hodir's Spear

Revered
Feeding Arngrim

Unless you get amazingly lucky with finding Everfrost Chips for the Everfrost repeatable, this grind will take you a little under a month to complete. Yeah, that's pretty harsh, but look on the bright side. The money from these dailies is really, really good. You do most of them in the same little areas, and Thrusting Hodir's Spear is regarded as one of the best daily quests ever. It's another of those God of War meets WoW moments.
Draann
Draann
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hales Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Sadly, in blizzard fashion, this means the "one little area" must be contested and a pain in the ass with everyone screwing everyone else over.

Hold on, I need to punch this old lady in the mouth to get her wine glass for the cooking daily...
Hales
Hales

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarnish Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:09 pm

I may do that eventually, however the shoulder enchant is a VERY marginal upgrade to the Aldor enchant for healers so while Kits might do it, Spaz won't.

Not until dual spec is out anyways and he can hit for more than a pea shooter's worth of DPS.

Spaz.

Tarnish

Back to top Go down

Post  Draann Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 am

Bumping this for your attention. At this stage, every bit counts, and now it's easier to get to exalted with Sons of Hodir.

RELICS OF ULDUAR: are dropping in price, are BoE, can be found in the AH and each 10 relics award you 250 reputation (+ human rep bonus).

DAILY NON-HEROIC: it now awards a new option, the Sons of Hodir commendation badge. It's 500 reputation with Sons of Hodir when you complete the normal dungeon daily quest.

If you didn't do the quests yet, find a guild group and get started on it. It's easy, fun questline, and can bring you halfway to honored.
Draann
Draann
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hales Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Hales wrote:Sadly, in blizzard fashion, this means the "one little area" must be contested and a pain in the ass with everyone screwing everyone else over.

Hold on, I need to punch this old lady in the mouth to get her wine glass for the cooking daily...
I've been working on the quests and it is amazing how accurate I was back then... I need to find work as a prognosticator.
Hales
Hales

Back to top Go down

Post  Draann Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Is it still like this? I supposed that at this point in the game, most people would already have their Hodir rep grinding done.
Draann
Draann
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hales Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:04 pm

People are grinding relics of ulduar (probably to sell) which means they are hunting all the quest mobs as they spawn more quickly.

As an example, there was a horde DK that was farming a single spawn point of a named mob I needed for a quest - it took me several tries to actually get an initial hit on the mob hard enough so he couldn't "capture" the mob from me. He knew full well I needed that quest mob he just wanted to be an ass.

When I was at the anvil area trying to complete some quests there were about 8 people running around like idiots tagging everything they could.

EDIT: honestly it isn't as bad as I'm sure it was but the quests are designed with bottlenecks on certain mobs and if even one or two people are doing the same thing you end up with "quest pvp" - I'm absolutely convinced this is a design consideration of Blizzard.

At this point I'm hoping I can slowly afford to buy relics and not do the daily quests - I hate dailies as it is mainly for the reasons I describe above...
Hales
Hales

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum